Tuesday 24 April 2012

Rangoon – Like Nowhere I’ve Been



Sule Paya in central Rangoon.
High above the Thai-Burma border on an Air Asia flight from Bangkok I opened my photocopied, water-stained Lonely Planet Myanmar for the first time. I flipped to the money section and read what I already knew – Burma has no ATMs. Fantastic. For some reason the idea of a whole country in 2012 without something as commonplace as an automatic teller seemed more exotic than a thousand sun-drenched beaches or spear-wielding hunters.
            I watched for a glimpse of Rangoon like it was my first time abroad and felt a nervous fizz of excitement as a flat grid of roofs appeared suddenly out of the cloud. We dropped towards busy roads flanked by ramshackle terraced houses and shops until I could see the faces of the workmen sitting in the open trucks. A row of rusted roofs flashed 100 feet below our wingtip before we crossed a concrete wall and touched down neatly. It looked like we had landed in the middle of the city.
            The airport was small with swept-clean concrete floors. I stood in the line marked passport control-foreigners, chatting to a Californian called Santiago. We agreed to split a taxi and as we waited for our bags a young Frenchman named Gil overheard us asked to share the ride. None of us had booked rooms and it was dark when we climbed into a battered cab.
            The trip took 45 minutes through late peak hour traffic past dark footpaths and dirty buildings. We honked and wove between ancient smoke-stained trucks, battered 25-year-old Toyotas and men walking calmly through the traffic in longyi, the checked sarong that looked to me like an oversized tea towel. The streets were unlit and many cars had no lights. What I took to be oncoming motorbikes were cars with one headlight out – I later heard that motorbikes had been illegal in Rangoon since a government official had outlawed them in a fit of pique after his car was damaged but, like everything about Burma, it was hard to tell between rumour and fact.
            “Ten years ago, could you imagine ever going to Burma?” I said, breaking the fascinated silence that had set in soon after leaving the airport.
            “Ten years ago, I’d never heard of Burma, man.” Said Santiago.
            “I was eleven years old.” Said Gil.

Mobile phones and traditional longyi in front of British architecture.
            In the city centre the taxi driver dropped us at the White House hostel but they were full, as were the next three we tried. And the ten after that. Eventually a local, barefoot on the broken pavement, signalled to us to follow him. For an hour we sweated and struggled to keep up with our self-appointed guide as we were refused by every budget place in town. In the end our guide shrugged and held out his hand. I gave him the only small money I had, a one dollar bill. My companions had only 100 dollar bills. Our guide glared at us and stalked off. It was 9pm and we were sweat-drenched, aching and hungry. We sat on a filthy step and Gil announced that he was going to sleep in the park. Santiago said the same and we shook hands as they staggered under heavy packs. I was still feeling good so I carried on. In fact I was better than good, I felt exhilarated, excited to be lost and homeless amongst crumbling British-era buildings in this strange, dark city. By 9.30 all the restaurants were closed and the streets were empty except for the occasional taxi, headlights off. A few dogs sniffed the in the gutters and I had to watch my footing where the roots of gnarled trees had torn the pavement. On most corners small shrines sat in tree trunks – a dim bulb hanging from the branches illuminating a dirty stone Buddha and burned-out incense sticks. It was a perfect antidote to the 24-hour neon convenience stores, midnight traffic snarls and leering prostitutes of Bangkok.
            At around ten o’clock I stumbled upon Rangoon’s central landmark, the Sule Paya, a golden temple on an ancient religious site which now forms the middle of a roundabout from which four-lane roads spread in three directions. Nearby, I found a Chinese-run business hotel where I paid the astonishing sum of $50 (I had averaged $8 dollars per night in the rest of South-East Asia) for a ‘delux’ room – a windowless box with whiny air conditioning and Chinese satellite TV.
            After a free breakfast I checked out and dragged my bags to the Garden Hostel where I got a $6 room with walls stained the same black as the cracked buildings outside.
For the next three days I walked through the heat, filling SD cards with poorly-framed photos of men hanging out of ancient buses singing out destinations, bicycle trishaws stacked 10 feet high with propane tanks, barefoot workers sleeping on mounds of gravel in the backs of rumbling dump trucks, pretty girls with thanaka-swirled cheeks selling sliced watermelon from buckets they carried on their heads and action shots of stub-toothed men spitting the blood-red juice of beetel nut they chewed wrapped in leaf and spiked with spices. The background was always the same – peeling paint and mould-stained brick of the once-grand architecture of the British looming above broken, beetel polka-dotted streets teeming with pedestrians and beaten-up vehicles. In the evenings I ate steaming plates of rice, vegetables and stringy curry chicken in tiny, smoky restaurants and washed it down with longnecks of Myanmar Beer. Afterwards I bought loose Red Ruby cigarettes from one of the plastic canisters that sat on every table. I hadn’t smoked in years but I was free and unknown away from mobile phones, skype and email and it felt appropriate in such a grimy, tumble-down city.

Most Burmese women and some men paint their faces with thanaka as an all-in-one sunblock and beauty treatment.
It was only February but the heat and humidity were building and I had vague ideas about catching a riverboat to the beach. After a long walk down the Strand, past the city’s grandest whitewashed colonial buildings, boxy factories and muddy construction sights advertising river view condos, I reached the ferry port. Sandwiched by the broad, swift flow of the Irrawaddy river on one side and a four-lane highway on the other, Rangoon’s port stretched along the muddy bank. Dozens of pontoon jetties bobbed under the footsteps of wiry, bare-chested men shouldering 70kg bags of chicken feed – more than their body weight – from rusted ferries into waiting trucks. A man crouched in the sun husking coconuts with a machete, one every few seconds, before flicking them blind to a boy standing on the cabin of a truck 20 feet away. Between trucks, under trees – wherever there was room – women sold fruit, cold drinks and cigarettes from bamboo stalls or folded beetel nut packets from behind tiny booths. I sat on a concrete bench and watched, feeling self-conscious with a DSLR camera hanging over my shoulder. The river below where I sat was a traffic jam of boats big and small. I watched a huge rust-bucket of a container ship glide past on the swift current, looking ridiculously out of scale against the bamboo houses on the far bank and scattering dozens of open wooden dinghies riding too-low under stacks of coconuts or bags of rice on which passengers balanced. Their un-muffled, single cylinder outboards put-putted furiously and sprayed brown water into the sky as they scrambled to avoid the bigger boat’s wake. On an open ferry, a monk in red robes stood high on top of a pile of rice sacks, a serene splash of colour through the diesel smoke. As the boat beached, he dropped lightly onto a plank laid on the sticking mud and strode past me towards town. He must have been eighty.

Rangoon's ferry terminal.
I could have watched all day but I had to find a ticket office. Farther along the bank were some more substantial buildings, one of which was restaurant. I stopped for lunch and the man who shooed a cat off my table before seating me spoke English. I asked about boat tickets and after lunch he led me to a cloyingly hot, corrugated iron building where 100 people stood in line or sat on rows of wooden pews bolted to the floor. Behind a door marked ‘foreigner tickets’ a neatly uniformed man sat at a desk next to a rattling fan. He spoke perfect English and sold me a ticket to Pathien on the Irrawaddy delta from where, he explained, I could catch a bus to the beach. A deck class ticket cost me $7. The boat left at three o’clock the next afternoon and would take 20 hours. I was to meet him half an hour before departure.

Faded colonial buildings on the Strand.

No comments:

Post a Comment