Monday 23 April 2012

Koh Samet to the Burmese Border – Insert Witty Title Here


Koh Samet
Alicia had left me in in Koh Samet to fly to Shanghai and on the ferry to Rayong it felt strange to travel alone. In Bangkok, I spent the night in street-side bars chatting to backpacker couples with clean hiking boots who were obviously bored of each other’s company and talked over one another constantly. Most of them were on a four week trip through Thailand, Laos and Cambodia – their first time in Asia. They stopped talking each time a street vendor approached with a tray of wooden frogs and plastic shit, smiling and no-thank-you-very-much-ing. They all had a morning buses to Chang Mai or Koh Samui and one by one they made their excuses. Later, as I sat alone, I overheard a French girl talking to a busy waitress.
            “Excuse me, I asked for fresh orange juice, zis is not fresh.”
            “Yes it is. We make it everyday.”
            “Non. Zis is, how you say, concentrate. It’s full of chemicals. I can’t drink it.”
            The waitress shrugged and started to walk off.
            “I’m not paying for it.” The drink was less than a dollar. They argued for ten minutes until the waitress stalked away. It pissed me off.
            “Excuse me, what happened?” I asked the French girl.
            “This juice, I’m not paying for it. Here, taste this.” It was fine.
            “It’s terrible. You know that she’s gone to get the police right?”
            “What?”
            “Yeah, I speak a little Thai and I think that’s what she said.” I lied.
            “Oh… really.”
            “Yeah, might be easier to pay. You know what Thai police can be like.” I was laying it on thick.
            “Well, yeah, maybe.” She thought for a minute then slammed some money on the table.
            “Thanks.” She smiled at me.
            A manager had been watching us.
            “What did you say to her?” She asked as she collected the money.
            “I said you called the police.”
            She laughed. “Stupid bitch. You want another beer?” I didn’t, I just wanted to get out of there. I dodged and elbowed through a whole community of hustlers – tuk-tuk drivers who doubled as sex show touts flashed explicit photos like they were FBI badges, massage parlour girls and lady-boys beckoned and whined, girls in lycra Heineken outfits and welded smiles held menus in front of ladies selling greasy noodles from carts which blocked the road. Everywhere people sold fake watches, glasses and underwear beside tasers, handcuffs, num-chuks and flick knives. Back at my hotel I locked the door behind me.

Night time Bangkok.
In the morning I caught a train to Chumpon. As we rattled south, I read and watched the sunset out of my second class carriage’s open window. The land was brown and dusty and I remembered how green and wet everything had been just a few months before. We arrived late at night and I wandered the wide streets past closed shops and dark houses. At a 7-11 I asked directions to a hotel and an English-speaking customer left his place in line to point me in the right direction.
The Farang bar and hostel was just closing when I walked in. Farang is Thai for foreigner and Ivor, the farang, led me to a bare room with a pedestal fan and a shared bathroom. There was no food so I sat with him in the closed bar drinking Singha and chatting. He had come to Thailand from England twenty years ago to work on the then-undeveloped island paradise of Koh Pha-ngan where he had met a Thai girl. They had gone from island to island, moving on as development and tourism pushed the prices up before settling in this dusty little nowhere where the only trade was from SCUBA divers on their way to Koh Tao. It seemed all veteran travellers and expats ever talked about was how much better Thailand had been twenty years ago – friendlier, safer, cheaper, more beautiful. I wondered how much of this was misty-eyed nostalgia and how much was true. A lot of the same people said that Burma was like Thailand in the ‘80s or Vietnam in the ‘90s or Laos ten years ago – the last undeveloped, unspoiled country in South-East Asia. I mentioned this to Ivor but he had never been, even though the border was only 30kms away.
“Can’t go anywhere, mate. Chained to this bar seven days a week.”
By then a big olive-skinned Welshman, the only other farang in town, had joined us and I asked about the chances of getting across the border.
“I doubt it mate. You’ll be locked up.” But he hadn’t been either and, like everyone else I had asked, was just guessing.
In the morning Ivor gave me a business card for a travel agent in Ranong and pointed me to the bus stop.
I waited an hour for the mini-bus to fill before we left. The road soon left the river valley and wound past small villages, terraced rice paddies and concrete towns. As we skirted the Burmese border, a soldier flagged us down at a road block. He swung the door open and collected IDs before speaking to the driver. A young guy near the back of the van was beckoned outside where the soldier directed him to stand against the side of the van and took a photo. He grabbed the young passenger by the collar and marched him away as the driver jumped into the van and roared away. I wanted to ask what had happened but nobody spoke English. An hour later I was standing in an empty lot between industrial buildings that served as Ranong’s bus station. I jumped on the back of a motorbike taxi and asked to go to a cheap hotel. The driver awkwardly cradled my bag between his legs as we wound through grubby streets, the back wheel scraping harshly with every rotation. At the hotel I checked into a bare room. The driver gave me his phone number and waited at reception for his cut of my $15 room charge.

One of Ranong's many fishing boats
Ranong sits on the Andaman Sea where Thailand meets Burma and the locals make their money from fishing and trade – both illegal and legal –  from across a wide estuary which separates the town from Kawthoung, its Burmese counterpart. I chained my bags to the bed and went in search of the travel agent Ivor said might be able to help me. Pon’s Travel is a one-stop western restaurant and ticketing service and Pon himself gave me the low down as I wolfed a curry. He told me that I could get to Kawthoung but only on a special one-day visa that couldn’t be used to travel more than five miles outside the town. I already had a 28 day tourist visa and was hoping to make my way by boat to Rangoon. He doubted that I would get my visa stamped and even if I did no boat would let a foreigner on. It wasn’t looking good for my overland route but I decided to give it another go. I bought a ticket for the small island of Koh Payam, where I knew there were travel agents and expats.
In the open back of an old pick-up a handful of backpackers and I drove through the heat to Ranong’s dock. The ferry shared the dock with a thousand wooden fishing boats. In a huge shed next door hundreds of people unloaded, gutted and packed fish into ice chests – there was no mechanization and they operated like a yelling, sweating production line. Blood and guts sluiced down the sloped concrete floor into a mangrove-choked stream and the workers moved quickly through the filth in flip-flops. The road in front was covered in rubbish that crunched under the tyres of reversing trucks. The smell was unreal – like a fishy hell. I noticed that the sing-songs yells and jokes weren’t in Thai. As I walked closer a wiry, dark-skinned man in a shirt stained black with fish blood waved me over. “Where are you from?” he asked.
His English was good and he told me that he was Burmese, as were all the workers, and had moved here from Rangoon two years ago to earn Thai wages.
“I like Thailand, so many jobs, but not Thai people.” He said. “They are not nice to us. I live with these people in the Burmese part of town.” He indicated the workers. “I don’t even speak Thai!”
I told him that I was going to Rangoon and he said that his father worked there as a diplomat. It was strange to think that this diplomat’s son with his perfect English had come to this dreary border town to make his fortune processing fish.
We docked at the end of a long concrete pier on Koh Payam where I rode a rented scooter to a thatched bungalow near the beach and watched it rain for two days – a steady tropical downpour that clattered on the palm fronds and seeped through the roof.

You know you're bored when you start taking photos of yourself reading.
I liked Payam, especially once the rain stopped, and spent a few days swimming in the warm clear waters and waiting for the generator to come on at the posh resort next door so I could use their wi-fi. I learned that my granddad had become gravely ill and spent hours trying to get through to his hospital bed. He was morphine-confused and hard to hear on the scratchy connection and the call left me deeply homesick and wondering what I was doing. It was the last time I spoke to him.
In the morning I caught the boat back to Ranong. As we came into port, I hung my feet over the side and watched the Burmese coast slip past a few hundred metres away – dull-green jungle over dense mangroves and muddy water. Back at Pon’s Travel I booked the night bus to Bangkok and an Air Asia flight to Rangoon for the following day. 

Koh Payam.

No comments:

Post a Comment