Saturday 25 August 2012

Shangri-la to Shanghai – Tiger Limping Gorge

An Idiot in distress at the end of Tiger Leaping Gorge
At 2,500 meters I stopped on the trail to re-bandage my knee and wait for the anti-inflammatory to kick in. A cold wind wrapped me in damp mist and I reflected on my first day’s trekking through Tiger Leaping Gorge. It hadn’t gone well, if I’m honest. Before dawn I had trekked the few kilometres through a pre-dawn snow shower to Shangri-la’s bus station. It was very pretty I had enjoyed the novelty but after years of summer-hopping around the globe, I had completely forgotten that snow is made from water. On the bus my top half shivered damply as the heater roasted my feet, but the reek of burning ankle hair couldn’t compete with the distinctive musk of the fat Chinese gentleman who used me as pillow. I stared into cloud and swirling snow that turned to sleet as we descended. At a grubby village strung along the base of a sheer cliff where a mountain stream joined the Jinsha river I leapt off the bus gratefully and walked across a busy bridge to where a small sign marked the start of the Tiger Leaping Gorge walking route in English and Chinese. I had paid my $10 trekking fee at a toll booth near the bridge so when, after three hours of climbing steeply, a local mimed that I was not actually on the path and indeed had not been for some time, I felt a bit cheated. I retraced my steps on narrow winding roads through picturesque villages nestled on steep hillsides full of early spring blooms and thought I’d cheer myself up by getting a few photos. I pulled the heavy camera out of my bag, framed a scene of bucolic, cherry-blossomed perfection and hit the button. Nothing. A horse posed perfectly in front of a misty mountain peak looked at me. “Sorry mate, can’t stand here all day, you know. Got stuff to do,” his watery glare seemed to say. He walked to the edge of frame to have a giant poo. The moment was lost. Battery dead.

Camouflage Idiot on the precarious path.
            By the time I found the path again I guessed I had walked 3 hours and 10km extra. Tiger Leaping Gorge is one of the deepest on earth and the narrow pony path clings stubbornly to the edge of steep mountainsides. On the left of the deeply-grooved, rocky path snowy peaks soar thousands of meters while a steep and uncomfortable bounce to the river hundreds of meters below awaits anyone who takes an ill-advised, rocky-horror-picture-show-style jump to the right. Across the gorge another steep wall of mountains rises, shrouded in mist and snow. Alongside the river is the new road. Until it was built in the ‘90s, this precarious pony track had been the only access to dozens of tiny villages dotted on the steep slope. For centuries caravans of ponies loaded with tea had ground this path deep into the rock but now there were only a scattering of Chinese and western tourists and the occasional weathered local walking between villages. I pushed hard all afternoon and eventually crested the 28 steps, a series of evil, rocky switchbacks which leads to the path’s highest point. As soon as I started to descend, I felt a twinge in the back of my knee and within a hundred meters sharp stabs of pain shot up my right leg whenever I put weight on it. As soon as the path levelled out I was fine but any downhill sections became hell. By the time I reached Tea Horse Guesthouse, I was not having a good time. Luckily the restaurant was well stocked with yeast-flavoured, liquid ant-inflammitories served in large green bottles so I medicated myself thoroughly while smashing my first meal of the day. For a few dollars I got an empty dorm. I nicked the blankets off the other beds and lay in the unheated room while a light snow fell.

Chinese toilets are a challenge with a busted knee. At least the view from this one was good.
            In the morning my leg was swollen and sore but by the time I had limped the 10km to the end of the trail, it had improved. After lunch I got a bus back to Lijiang and caught the night train to Kunming where I wandered around for most of the day before catching another train to Shanghai. My ticket said the trip took 36 hours and as I waited with several hundred other people in an airport-style departure lounge, I felt a familiar queasiness. I tried to talk myself out of it but just as the sun set two hours out of Kunming I bolted for the filthy train toilet where I spent large portions of the next 12 hours vomiting into a swaying, jerking hole in the floor as southern China passed outside, presumably. I guess there are worse places to be ill than a Chinese train, but I can’t think of any. Every time the train got near a station, the stern young conductor locked all the toilets, and I leaned my head against the cool mirror next to the door until she deemed us far enough away from civilization. She also locked them at 9pm after the lights had been turned off but seeing my distress she kindly left one open. Twice late at night, she and another man woke me with a flashlight glare to check my ticket. Between bouts of sickness I dozed in my bunk, glad I was in China where people were unlikely to make conversation, and dreamed of the sweet release of death – I tend to get a bit melodramatic when I’m ill.
            Whenever I looked out the window all I saw were muddy concrete towns drained of colour. The hypnotic flash of scraggly trees and rusting poles flashing past the rain-streaked glass triggered more nausea so I closed the curtain and retreated to my bunk. I guess it was just the weather and the way I was feeling but eastern China looked grim and ugly. I wished I was anywhere else.
            Before dawn the next morning the compartment lights woke me and I was well enough to have a banana and some hot water. We pulled into Shanghai station in the cold, grey light and I felt weak under my bags on the platform. Alicia was waiting for me and I limped over and tapped her on the shoulder. It was great to see her and we hugged for a long time before she pushed me away.
            “You stink, you know. And look how skinny you are.” She had a point.
            We walked past huge shopping malls and Metro stations. Everyone was well-dressed in the morning rush, walking quickly to desks in the looming glass towers high above. I felt like a bum in my dusty hiking boots and when we got to Alicia’s tenth floor apartment, I had a very long shower. That afternoon I bought new clothes and felt well enough to devour a huge burger. I was glad to be off the road and in no hurry to go anywhere. For a while, at least.

A different kind of canyon. The view from Alicia's apartment in central Shanghai.

No comments:

Post a Comment