Tuesday 8 May 2012

Bagan to Mandalay – Smoke Me a Kipling

Burmese trucks - I just want one.
There’s a famous poem by Rudyard Kipling called ‘The Road to Mandalay’ or some such thing. Now as we all know, poems that aren’t limericks are far too awful to consider actually reading so I haven’t read that one, but as my bus swayed and jolted down the actual road to Mandalay I wondered how a poem about being crushed against a window and sandblasted with dust while dying for a pee ever got so popular. I later learned that the man named after the area behind a sawmill (“Where do the offcuts go, boss?” “Just throw ‘em in the rudyard.”) had never actually been to Mandalay. This, in limerick form, is what he would have written if he had.
           
There once was a road to Mandalay
            It was shit

Now I know that’s not technically speaking a limerick, but it captures the essence of my experience. The bus, in true Burmese fashion, was hopelessly overloaded with three people to every double seat and the aisle full of plastic stools that bounced and slid on cracked linoleum as we slammed through potholes and swerved around ox carts. We stopped, or at least slowed slightly, every few miles to pick up passengers from the ends of dirt roads or ten-hut villages choked with dust. All day we passed flat, dry fields. As we crawled through towns girls rattled stones in dented pots, begging for money from the passing motorists. As our shadow flickered through the grass, I could see the silhouettes of the handful of guys who rode on the roof, laying on sacks and luggage. After a rest stop I began climbing onto the roof but the driver pulled me away, saying it was dangerous. I tried to explain that I just wanted slap the guy who’s red beetel-nut spit kept flying past, and sometimes into, my window and then return to my seat but it was a hard concept to mime and anyway it was a lie – I’ve always wanted to ride on the roof of a bus, and it looked infinitely more comfortable than my seat. I past the next four hours in my sun-nuked seat with no food or water and my sunscreen safely packed away and lashed to the roof.
Mandalay’s bus station is actually an enormous dirt parking lot filled with hundreds of buses. Ticket sellers sit behind sandwich boards advertising prices and departure times. They are all private companies and popular routes are often serviced by a dozen buses, the prices depending on their speed and state of disrepair. Air conditioned coaches sat beside windowless 1950s school buses without seatbacks and between them all a near-gridlock of honking taxis and reversing buses. As we rolled to a halt in long grass next to a chain link fence I disembarked through a mob of taxi drivers, swooning like a Victorian lady-in-waiting. I let an older guy lure me onto his motorbike taxi with the promise of a drink. I chugged a litre of water, letting it dribble down my neck as though I was advertising a rehydrating sports beverage (Why do they do that, by the way? I watch those adverts and think, “well, I’ll certainly avoid that product, it looks incredibly difficult to drink.”) before whirring towards Mandalay.
The city was a hot square grid made of concrete and dirt set against a huge palace compound fenced with a moat and high walls. Beyond the palace rose Mandalay hill – its gold-roofed pagodas just visible through the smoke haze. Mortorbikes were banned in Rangoon but Mandalay was choked with scooters going the wrong way and blocking intersections while tiny blue Mazda utilities the size of pedal cars squatted under a load of crouching passengers. I had, my driver told me, hit afternoon peak hour. The first three hotels I tried were full but eventually I found a room up seven flights of stairs. As I fumbled for my passport at the reception desk, a group of businessmen elbowed me out of the way and started jabbering at the clerk, all talking at once. He gave them a key and they sat down on the lobby couches, ashing their cigarettes on the carpet and talking so loudly I could hardly hear my room number. Soon they left.
“I’m sorry about those men, they are Chinese,” said the clerk screwing up his nose and glaring at their retreating backs. “They’re so rude.”
Mandalay is only a day’s drive from the Chinese border and the clerk told me that trucks bring a stream of cheap electrical goods and plastic tat into Burma through the city.
“They get rich but we get nothing.” I felt like pointing out that he was employed by a hotel full of Chinese businessmen but he had mentioned something about a hot shower and I was excited. It was my first hot shower in Burma and by the time I had scrubbed myself a few shades lighter it was dark and I was starving. I found a restaurant – all Chinese food, I noticed – and sat planning my next move. I had hoped to go from Mandalay through the border town of Lashio and into Kunming in China, the same road that the Chinese trucks were plying, but with fighting near the border the whole area was off-limits. I rather snidely considered disguising myself as an endangered species or an old growth forest – a sure way to get into China – but of course I would be immediately killed. Or mulched.
The next day I got talking to a Chinese backpacker – the first I had met – who was drunk at lunchtime and looking for company. He was on his way back home to Xi’an in central China by land. I told him that I wanted to do the same and he became my instant best friend.
“Then we will go together!” He exclaimed, toasting our journey.
“But I can’t go cross the border. I think I must fly.” I said.
“No, no. I will check for you.” He fished in his pocket for a mobile phone and made a call to the Chinese border post.
“No good. He says that only Chinese people can cross. If you try you go to jail. Or maybe Burmese people shoot you,” he leaned closer, “They’re crazy, you know.”
It looked like I was flying.

Best. Thing. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment